Fingernails are composed of laminated layers of protein called keratin. Healthy fingernails are smooth, without pits or grooves, and are uniform in color, and free of spots and discoloration. Sometimes fingernails develop harmless vertical ridges from the cuticle to the tip of the nails. Fingernails can also develop white lines or spots due to injury, which grow out with the nail. Healthy nails require some routine care and maintenance.
Oro Gold and other professionals in the cosmetic industry recommend some simple, common-sense do’s and don’ts of fingernail care, include the following:
Nail Care “Do’s”
● Keep your fingernails dry and clean. This prevents bacteria, fungi, and other organisms from growing under the fingernails. Use rubber gloves when washing dishes, cleaning, or using harsh chemicals, and avoid long soaks in the tub.
● Trim and file your nails regularly. Use manicure scissors or clippers and trim the nails straight across, then round the tips in a gentle curve. It may be easier to trim nails when they are soft, such as after a bath or a shower.
Nail Care “Don’ts”
● Mistreat your fingernails. To prevent injury and damage, don’t use your fingernails as a tool to pry, poke, or pick things.
● Chew on your fingernails or pick at your cuticles. These are bad habits that can damage the nail bed. Even a minor cut along the nail can introduce bacteria and fungi and cause an infection.
● Pull off hangnails. Pulling hangnails can also rip live tissue along with the hangnail. Instead, carefully clip off the hangnail.
● Ignore problems. If there is pain, bleeding, discoloration of the entire nail, thinning or thickening of the nail, separation of the nail from the surrounding skin, redness or swelling, seek the advice of a dermatologist or medical professional. These may be signs of a potential problem.
Properly caring for your nails will not only make them look good, but will make them stronger too. Remember that nails contain keratin, which needs water to remain flexible. Without moisture, nails become weak and brittle. Massaging the nail plates with cream or oils is an important step in keeping nails moisturized and healthy.
Getting manicures on a regular basis can help to maintain your fingernails’ great appearance and help keep nails healthy too. Manicure kits, such as the Oro Gold manicure set, are an inexpensive way to give yourself a manicure and keep nails looking their best. Oro Gold products aren’t just for the skin, they are designed for the overall health and beauty needs of the entire body – covering skin care from head to toe.